Shreya Ghoshal is a famous Indian playback singer who is known for her chartbuster songs. She has known her voice in different languages and has worked with almost every top music directors in India.
Shreya Ghoshal was born on 12 March 1984 (age 37 years; as in 2021) in the Berhampore city of Murshidabad district, West Bengal. She grew up in the Rawatbhata city of Rajasthan, India. Her zodiac sign is Pisces.
Shreya studied at Atomic Energy Central School in Rawatbhata till 8th class and moved to Atomic Energy Central School in Anushakti Nagar when her family relocated in Mumbai. She then joined Atomic Energy Junior College to study science but withdrew from it later to enrol in SIES College of Arts, Science, and Commerce in Mumbai, where she studied Arts with English as her main subject. Shreya Ghoshal began learning music at the very young age of four.
Her mother accompanied her in Tanpura, and they rehearsed with Bengali songs.
At the age of six, she began with her formal training in classical music from Late Kalyanji Bhai for 18 months and continued to learn from Late Mukta Bhide in Mumbai.
Weight: 55 kg
Figure Measurements: 34-28-34
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Shreya Ghoshal’s father, Bishwajit Ghoshal is an electrical engineer and works for the Nuclear Power Corporation of India, and her mother, Sarmistha Ghoshal, is a post-graduate in Literature.
She has a brother named Soumyadeep Ghoshal.
She got married to her childhood friend, Shiladitya Mukhopadhyaya, who is an entrepreneur in 2015.
Her first ever recorded song was ‘Ganraj Rangi Nachato,’ which was the cover version of the Marathi song, originally sung by Lata Mangeshkar. Her first studio album was “Bendhechhi Beena,” which was released in 1998. She made her Bollywood debut as a singer with the film “Devdas” in 2002. She sang 5 tracks in the movie titled “Silsila Ye Chaahat Ka”, “Bairi Piya”, “Chalak Chalak”, “Morey Piya”, and “Dola Re Dola,” which went on to become big hits.
Awards & Honours
- Honoured as the selected member of House of Commons of the United Kingdom.
- The Governor of the US state of Ohio declared 26 June as “Shreya Ghoshal Day” in 2010.
- The Mayor of the City of Cincinnati declared 24 July as “Shreya Ghoshal Day of Entertainment and Inspiration” in 2015.
National Film Awards
- “Bairi Piya” for the film Devdas in 2002.
- “Dheere Jalna” for the film Paheli in 2005.
- “Yeh Ishq Haye” for the film Jab We Met in 2007.
- “Pherari Mon” for the Bengali film Antaheen in 2008.
- “Jeev Rangala” for the Marathi film Jogwa in 2008.
- Best Female Playback Singer for “Dola Re Dola” from the film Devdas in 2003.
- RD Burman Award for New Music Talent for “Bairi Piya” from the film Devdas in 2003.
- Best Female Playback Singer for “Jaadu Hai Nasha Hai” from the film Jism in 2004.
- Best Female Playback Singer for “Barso Re” from the film Guru in 2008.
- Best Female Playback Singer for “Teri Ore” from the film Singh Is Kinng in 2009.
- Best Female Playback Singer for “Deewani Mastani” from the film Bajirao Mastani in 2016.
- Best Female Playback Singer for “Ghoomar” from the film Padmaavat in 2019.
- Actor: Guru Dutt
- Actress: Madhuri Dixit, Waheeda Rehman
- Music Directors: Madan Mohan, R. D. Burman, A. R. Rahman
- Singers: Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Geeta Dutt, Beyonce, Norah Jones
- Songs: “Kehna Hi Kya” from the film Bombay (1995), ‘Aap Ki Nazron Ne Samjha’ from the film Anpadh (1962), “Lag Jaa Gale” from the film Woh Kaun Thi? (1964)
- Food: Chelab, Rasmalai
- Destination: Mauritius
- In 1995, she won the All India Light Vocal Music Competition, New Delhi, which was organised by Sangam Kala Group.
- Her first stage performance was at a club’s annual function.
- In 2000, she won the singing reality show “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa,” which was aired on Zee TV.
- She was featured in the song “Har Taraf Har Jagah” from the film “Saaya (2003)” alongside KK (Krishnakumar Kunnath).
- Shreya caught the attention of Sanjay Leela Bhansali when she participated in the 75th children’s special episode of ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa.’ Sanjay’s mother was watching the show and called him to watch her performance, after which he decided to give her a chance in his next film. As per to Bhansali, Ghoshal’s voice had the innocence needed for the character of Paro in Devdas (2002).
- When Shreya was asked to tell her experience of the song “Bairi Piya,” she said “I remember I was asked to rehearse the song once before finally recording it. I normally closed my eyes and sang without a break. When I opened my eyes, I noticed a lot of excitement and chaos outside the recording room. Then Sanjayji told me I had sung the song so well that they had recorded it at one go.”
- In 2011, she did an advertisement for Joyalukkas, a jewellery company. The advertisement was aired in five various languages, i.e., Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada.
- She has judged different reality singing TV shows like “The Voice Of India- Chhote Ustad,” “Indian Idol Junior,” and “Music Ka Maha Muqqabla.”
- She likes reading books, travelling, and cooking. She says that she likes cooking because it has a healing effect on her.
- In 2017, she became the first Indian singer to have her wax figure in Madame Tussauds Museum.
- She has a dog named Sherlock.