Veg pizza recipe – Are you exited to know that how to make pizza at home. This pizza recipe assists you to make the best tasty pizza at home along with homemade pizza sauce. You can go through with this detailed step by step guide
Ingredients (1 Cup = 250ml )
Ingredients for pizza dough
- 2 cups maida or organic plain flour or all-purpose flour (or 1 cup maida & 1 cup atta)
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- ½ cup water +1 tbsp. (use as needed)
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil (replace with any oil)
- ¼ to ½ tbsp salt (use as needed)
- ¾ tbsp organic sugar
Ingredients for pizza sauce
- 400 grams tomatoes fine chopped or pureed
- 2 garlic cloves minced or chopped finely
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs or ½ to ¾ tbsp oregano
- Salt as needed
- ½ tbsp pepper coarse crushed or powder
- 1 ½ tbsp oil (preferably olive oil)
- 1 tbsp organic sugar
Ingredients for pizza toppings
- 200 grams Mozzarella cheese or as needed
- 1 ½ cups mix vegetables sliced or cubed (capsicum, onions, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms)
- ¼ to ½ tbsp Italian herbs mixed or oregano (use as desired)
- ¼ tbsp red chili flakes (optional)
Making pizza dough
- Pour luke warm water to a mixing bowl.
- Dip your finger and ensure the water is warm and not hot.
- Hot water kills the yeast so avoid it.
- Add yeast & sugar to luke warm water and stir it.
- Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes and allow to proof.
- After 15 minutes the yeast should activate and turn bubbly or frothy.
- If the water doesn’t turn frothy by then, the yeast is inactive and cannot be used for the dough.
- In this case discard and start afresh with luke warm water, sugar and yeast.
- When the water turns frothy, add flour, salt and oil.
- Next mix and make a dough adding more water if needed.
- Knead the dough very well until very soft and pliable for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- The dough must be soft & elastic.
- When you press down the pizza dough with your finger, it must dent and bounce back.
- Apply a thin layer of oil to the bowl and the dough as well. Keep covered with a greased plate.
- Move this to a warm place like a shelf in your kitchen.
- Allow the dough to rise and double in size. It may take anywhere from 2 to 3 hours depending on the weather conditions.
Preparing pizza sauce
- Meanwhile prepare the tomato pizza sauce.
- To make sauce, heat oil in a pan and saute garlic until it smells good.
- Then add red chili flakes and then onions if using. Saute until they turn slightly golden.
- Add tomatoes, salt and sugar. Stir and continue to cook covering partially as it splatters a lot.
- Cook until the sauce thickens. Add herbs and crushed pepper.
- Mix and taste the sauce.
- If needed add more salt, herbs and chili flakes to suit your taste. Set this aside to cool.
- Now rinse and cube the veggies. Separate the layers of onions.
How to make pizza
- Preheat the oven to 240 C for at least 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to the work area.
- Punch the dough once to deflate it. Cut to 2 to 3 portions.
- Gently shape it to a ball.
- Sprinkle some corn meal over the pizza tray.
- Place the pizza dough over the tray and flatten it slightly.
- Add few drops of oil and begin to flatten it. Spread to a round disc of desired thickness.
- If making a thick base & you own a small oven, then put the base in the oven and bake it for 5 to 7 minutes.
- If making a medium to thin crust pizza then just go ahead with the next steps.
- Spread the pizza sauce as desired. Layer the veggies and then grated cheese.
- Lastly sprinkle Italian herbs and red chili flakes.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the base is cooked and cheese turns slightly golden.
- Slice and serve pizza hot or warm.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Calories: 567kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 488mg | Potassium: 569mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 4165IU | Vitamin C: 16.7mg | Calcium: 316mg | Iron: 5.1mg
Cheese: If you are a vegetarian, choose mozzarella cheese made without animal rennet. I guess most cheese made in India are made without animal rennet.
You can also look for cheese mentioned as pizza cheese. You can find combinations of various cheese like Parmesan, mozzarella and cheddar. You may find Parmesan without animal rennet but mostly uses the cultures from animal extracts.
Please adjust the amount of spice in sauce to suit your taste.