Vegetable manchurian is one of the popular manchurian recipes from Indo chinese food. Veg manchurian is made by tossing fried mixed veg balls in sweet, sour and hot manchurian sauce.
Ingredients (1 Cup = 250ml )
Ingredients for manchurian balls
- 1 ¼ cup cabbage finely chopped
- ½ cup carrot grated (1 medium)
- ¼ cup French beans (finely chopped, can skip but it adds flavor)
- 2 tablespoons capsicum grated or minced
- ¼ cup spring onions finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (white corn flour)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (maida) (prefer organic)
- ¼ to ½ cup bread crumbs (optional, use if making gravy version)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon pepper crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 pinches salt (very little)Oil as needed for frying
Ingredients for manchurian sauce
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- ¾ tablespoon garlic finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger finely chopped
- ¼ cup spring onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup bell peppers (capsicum) finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons red chili sauce (or any hot sauce, adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or as needed (or apple cider vinegar)
- ¾ tablespoon cornstarch (white corn flour or arrowroot powder (1 tsp for dry)
- ¼ cup water to dissolve cornstarch(2 tbsps for dry)
- 1 cup water or veg stock for gravy (½ cup for dry)
- Salt as needed
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon pepper coarsely crushed
Optional for color
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder or 1 tsp red chili paste (optional, used for color)
- 1 ½ tablespoons water to make chili paste
How to make the recipe
Preparation for manchurian
- Allow the veggies to come to room temperature first.
- Cut cabbage to 4 quarters and keep them immersed in luke warm water for 3 to 4 mins.
- Drain the water and rinse them well. Drain and chop them finely.
- Air dry the cabbage for a while to remove excess moisture.
- You can also process all the veggies in a food processor.
- Wash and peel the carrots and grate them.
- Chop the beans, spring onions & bell peppers. Mince the ginger and garlic.
Making veg balls
- Add the prepared veggies, cornstarch, plain flour, ginger garlic paste, pepper & salt to a mixing bowl. Mix everything well.
- You can also add bread crumbs to make the balls extra crisp.
- Mix everything well and make lemon sized balls. The balls must bind well without breaking.
- You can also optionally roll these balls in corn starch.
- You can make about 12 to 14 balls. Set aside all the vegetable balls.
- Frying balls – Heat oil in a deep pan for deep frying.
- Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small portion of the dough in hot oil.
- The dough has to come up without browning. This is the right temperature.
- Gently slide the balls in hot oil & fry on a medium flame.
- Do not disturb them for 1 min after the balls are dropped in oil.
- They will be delicate and may break if you have not used bread crumbs.
- After few seconds of frying, you can keep stirring and fry until they turn golden.
- Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
- Baking in Oven – Preheat the oven and bake the balls on a greased wire rack placed over a tray at 200 C for 20 to 23 mins.
- Turn them to the other sides after every 8 mins.
- Please be alert as the timings may vary depending on the size of the balls.
Making manchurian sauce
- Heat oil in a pan, then add ginger garlic and saute for a min.
- Add spring onions and capsicum. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes on a high flame without burning.
- While these fry dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Lower the heat, then add soya sauce, red chilli sauce, tomato ketchup and red chilli paste.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture with a spoon and pour it to the pan.
- Next stir gently and pour water. Stir and taste the mixture.
- Add vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar all to suit your taste.
- The sauce should taste slightly sour, hot and sweet.
- Keep stirring and cook on a medium flame until the sauce thickens.
- Do not cook till very thick. The sauce will thicken further after cooling.
- Switch off the stove and allow the sauce to cool for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Boiling hot sauce will make the veg balls soft and will lose the crispness.
How to make veg manchurian
- Add the veg balls to the sauce just before serving manchurian. Garnish with spring onions.
- Serve hot veg manchurian with veg fried rice or noodles.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 725mg | Potassium: 242mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6295IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1.3mg