This mushroom masala curry is simply the best however it’s delicious, rich, hearty and flavorful. It’s a perfect recipe for a simple dinner or lunch. Serve this mushroom gravy over rice or with any Indian flatbreads, sure it will be loved by all people.
Ingredients (1 Cup = 250ml )
- 200 to 250 grams mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup onions cubed (1 large)
- 1 cup tomatoes cubed (2 large)
- ½ inch ginger chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 12 cashewnuts or almonds
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt or as needed
- ¼ teaspoon kasuri methi (optional)(dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 small bay leaf or 10 curry leaves
- 2 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon piece (dalchini)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (cilantro) chopped finely
- 2 to 3 tbsp cream (optional)
- Take 2 cups of water to a boil and add cubed onions. Boil them until transparent for about 5 to 6 minutes. Drain them and cool down.
- Add onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and 12 cashews to a blender jar.
- Make a fine paste and set aside. Ensure the paste is smooth and not coarse.
How to make mushroom masala
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. optional – When the oil becomes hot, add bay leaf, cardamoms & cinnamon.
- Pour the onion tomato puree and cook covered until the mixture thickens. Keep stirring often while frying.
- Then add red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Saute on a low heat until the mixture turns fragrant and leaves the sides of the pan.
- While the mixture cooks, rinse and slice the mushrooms.
- When the onion tomato masala becomes aromatic. add sliced mushrooms and salt.
- Saute for 2 to 3 mins until the flavor of mushrooms come out.
- Next pour ½ to ¾ cup water or as needed to make a thick gravy.
- Cook until the mushrooms turn tender and not soggy. If the gravy is too thick add little hot water.
- Sprinkle kasuri methi. Cover and Turn off the stove. You can also add few tbsps of cream and coriander leaves.
- Mix and serve mushroom masala hot with basmati rice or roti.
Instant pot mushroom curry
- Bring 2 cups water to a rolling boil and add diced onions. Boil them for 4 to 5 mins so the raw bitter taste goes away from the onions. Drain them.
- Add them to a grinder/ blender along with tomatoes, cashews, ginger and garlic. Grind them to a very smooth puree.
- Press saute button on your Instant pot and pour 2 tablespoons oil.
- Pour the onion tomato puree and saute until thick. Keep stirring in between. Meanwhile slice the mushrooms.
- When the mixture turns thick, add all the spice powders – red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder & salt.
- Soon the mixture becomes thick and aromatic. Press cancel.
- Pour 1cup water and deglaze the pot well by scrubbing the bottom with the spatula.
- Add mushrooms and stir. Secure the Instant pot with the lid and position the steam release valve to sealing.
- Press pressure cook button with the timer set to 3 minutes.
- Once the Instant pot is done, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then release the rest manually.
- Add kasuri methi and mix well. Taste test and add more salt if needed. If want you can also add some cream. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Onions are boiled to remove the raw and bitter taste. Also boiled onion paste gets cooked faster in the pot. Some kind of onions taste bitter when pureed without boiling. You can skip this step if you don’t experience that. Alternatively you may soak onions in a bowl of water for 15 to 20 minutes & then blend them.
- Cashews are used to give a creamy texture and milky aroma to the curry. You can substitute them with almonds. Simply soak almonds in hot water for 30 to 60 minutes and peel the skin.
- Mushrooms: White button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms go well in this recipe.
- This recipe has been tested in a 6 QT Instant pot only. Please stick to the measurements.