Egg curry is a popular dish made with boiled eggs cooked in onion tomato gravy. This spicy egg curry is flavorful, delicious and goes well with roti, naan, paratha or rice. you will like this if you are an eggetarian.
Ingredients (1 Cup = 250ml )
Ingredients for egg curry
- 4 to 5 boiled eggs.
- 2 tablespoons oil.
- 2 onions finely chopped, grated or pureed.
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped or pureed.
- Green chilli chopped or slit as your taste.
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or finely minced.
- Salt as needed 1 to 1 ¼ cup water.
- 1 tablespoons Coriander leaves chopped finely.
- ¼ teaspoon Kasuri methi or fenugreek leaves.
- 1 teaspoon sugar (Optional).
- 4 tablespoons cream or 10 cashews blended with ½ cup water.
Whole spices (Optional)
- 1 small bay leaf or tej patta
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon piece cumin or small piece of cinnamon
- 2 green cardamoms (elaichi)
2 cloves (laung)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ to 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric or haldi
How to make the recipe
- If you prefer to puree the onions, first boil cubed onions in 2 cups of water for 3 to 4 mins until transparent. Drain the water and cool. Puree them in a Mixer.
Preparation for egg curry
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a nonstick pan & saute the eggs until golden.
- Remove the eggs to a plate & sprinkle 2 to 3 pinches of chilli powder.
How to make egg curry
- Add another tbsp oil. Saute cumin, bay leaf, cardamoms and cloves (optional) just for a minute.
- Next add & fry the onion & chilli until golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.
- Then add tomatoes and saute well until the mixture turns mushy.
- Next add red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric, sugar and salt.
- Fry everything well until a nice aroma comes out & the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Pour water just as needed to make a gravy.
- Cook until the curry thickens and oil begins to separate.
- Check the salt and adjust if needed.
- Add the boiled & fried eggs, kasuri methi if using.
- Optional – Blend together 10 cashews with half cup water to smooth milk. Pour it. Cook covered for 2 to 3 mins until the curry turns thick.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve tasty spicy egg curry with roti or naan or plain rice.
Instant pot egg curry
- Press saute button and add oil to the inner pot of the Instant pot. Add spices & bay leaf.
- Add ginger garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Then add the tomatoes and salt.
- Fry until the tomatoes breakdown. Add chilli powder and turmeric. Saute for a min.
- When the cumin begins to sizzle add onions and green chilli. Saute until the onions turn light golden.
- Then pour 1 cup water and deglaze the pot by scrubbing the bottom of the pot with the spatula.
- Place a long leg trivet. Place your basmati rice bowl. Cover it. Then place the eggs in another bowl. Cover it.
- Secure the IP with the lid. Position the steam release handle to sealing.
- Press the pressure cook button (high pressure). Set the timer to 7 mins.
- When the IP is done, press the cancel button.
- When the pin drops, open the lid. Do a quick manual release by moving the steam release handle from sealing to venting. You can also wait for 5 mins for a natural release.
- Pour cold water to the eggs and let them cool down. Peel the eggs and prick them with a fork.
- Press the saute button and simmer the eggs in the curry for a minute.
- Then pour the cream or cashew milk or coconut milk.
- Stir well and cook until the curry thickens. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Turn off and garnish with coriander leaves.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 170mg | Sodium: 300mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g
- You can use onion chopped, grated or pureed. If you prefer to puree, then boil cubed onions in 2 cups water for 2 to 3 mins until they turn transparent. Cool and make a paste.
- If using a stronger garam masala, use half tsp of it along with 1/2 to 1 tsp coriander powder.
- To make the gravy richer pour 4 tbsps of cream or blend 10 cashews in a blender with half cup water to smooth milk. You can also substitute with coconut milk.
- For a chunky egg curry, skip pureeing the onions. Just use the fine chopped onions.
How to boil & prepare eggs
- To a pot add 3 to 4 cups of water. Rinse the eggs & gently place them in the pot. Cover & boil the eggs on a medium flame until you see cracks on at least one of the eggs. Turn off the stove and rest for 10 mins.
- Discard the water & keep the eggs immersed in cold water until the temperature cools down. Shell the eggs gently and prick them with a fork so they absorb the flavors.