Spicy crispy sweet corn is a popular snack made with sweet corn, spices, flour, herbs and lemon juice. Instructions included to grill them in oven or to deep fry.
Ingredients (1 Cup = 250ml )
Ingredients for Crispy Sweet Corn
- 3 cups corn or 3 corncobs
- 6 tbsp corn flour refer notes
- 4 to 6 tbsp rice flour or all-purpose flour or maida
- ½ tbsp pepper powder
- ¼ to ½ tbsp salt or as needed
- 4 cups water for parboiling corn
Spice powders for crispy corn
- ¾ tbsp jeera powder or cumin powder
- ¾ to 1 tbsp chaat masala (use to suit your taste)
- ½ to ¾ tbsp red chili powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (use only if needed, refer notes)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for Crispy Sweet Corn
- Choose corn that have firm and plump kernels. Avoid too young, tender or juicy ones. Also do not use hard kernels.
- Cut the corn cob to 2 parts. Begin to pick the whole kernels from the cob without cutting them with a knife. Add them to a bowl. Do not cut them with a knife as the cut kernels tend to splutter while frying.
- Next add them to salted hot water and boil for 2 minutes. You can skip this step if the kernels are moderately milky and not hard.
- Drain them and rinse under running water. When excess water drains up, add them to a wide bowl.
- While you prepare the corn also prepare to deep fry them or preheat your oven to 400 F or 200 C for at least 15 mins.
- Corn have to be moist at this stage. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, 3 tbsps corn flour and 3 tbsps rice flour. Toss them to coat with the flour. If using egg, pour 1 egg white and mix well. Then sprinkle flour. Toss well.
- Next repeat adding the rest of the flour as needed. Toss them again. If needed sprinkle 1 tbsp water. Toss. Avoid water if using egg.
- If you like more crispy flour coated on the corn then repeat coating them once more, sprinkling 1 tbsp more water if needed. The corn kernels must look floury at the same time they should not be dry. I did not do it the third time.
Grilling in oven
- Spread the prepared corn on a parchment paper or greased sheet. Grill them for 24 to 30 mins until they turn golden and crisp.
Frying crispy corn
- Pour oil to a hot deep pan for frying. Heat it on a medium flame.
- When the oil turns hot, drop one corn kernel and check. The oil must be quite hot at this stage otherwise the flour may disperse in the oil.
- I added about 2 to 3 ladles of corn for each batch and quickly covered with the splatter screen.
- Regulate the flame to medium and do not disturb until you see them floating on top. If they turn lumpy gently separate them.
- When they turn crunchy remove to a colander. A plate or kitchen tissue tends to make them soft quickly.
- Before adding the next batch of corn to oil, ensure the oil is hot enough again.
Seasoning crispy corn
- Add all the fried crispy corn to a bowl. Sprinkle red chili powder, cumin powder and chaat masala.
- Immediately remove to serving plates. Sprinkle some onions and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve crispy corn immediately. If desired just squeeze in few drops of lemon juice.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 313mg | Potassium: 302mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 13.4mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg
You may need more flour unless you use egg.