Coconut chutney is a condiment made with fresh coconut, dal, chilies and spices. This recipe article shares 8 different types of coconut chutney recipes to accompany most snacks & south Indian breakfasts like idle, dosa, vada & pongal.
Types of Coconut Chutney
- Basic coconut chutney
- Coriander coconut chutney
- Simple red chutney
- Mint coconut chutney
- Dried coconut chutney
- Raw mango chutney with coconut
- Coconut carrot chutney
- Kobbari capsicum chutney
Ingredients (1 Cup = 250ml )
Ingredients for coconut chutney
- ¾ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen) or ¼ cup chopped
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons fried gram (or chana dal or peanuts)
- ⅛ inch ginger piece (or 1 garlic clove)
- 2 green chilies (adjust to taste) or red chilies
- ¼ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds or jeera
- ¼ to ⅓ cup water (use as needed)
- ¼ cup coriander leaves or 10 to 12 mint leaves (optional)
- lemon juice or little tamarind soaked in hot water (optional)
Seasoning or tadka (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 red chili broken
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon mustard or rai
- 1 pinch hing or asafoetida
Making coconut chutney
- Add coconut, ginger or garlic, cumin, green chilies, salt & fried gram to a blender or chutney jar.
- If you do not have fried gram dry roast peanuts or Chana dal until golden and aromatic.
- Cool all the ingredients and add them to the jar.
- Blend all the ingredients well without adding water. This helps to get smooth chutney. Scrape the sides.
- Blend until smooth. Pour water as needed and blend to get a smooth coconut chutney.
- Taste it and add more salt and chilies if needed. Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl.
Optional – Tempering coconut chutney
- Heat a pan with 1 teaspoon oil. When the oil turns hot, add mustard seeds. (I also add a pinch of urad dal & it is optional.)
- Soon they will crackle, then add broken red chili and curry leaves.
- When the curry leaves turn crisp, add hing and pour this over the coconut chutney.
- Serve coconut chutney with dosa, idli, vada or pongal.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you do not have green chilies, dry roast red chilies until crisp and use.